Sunday, August 15, 2010

How I Learn - Fitting the Pieces Together

When I started out grasping learning theories, I did not realize that they would provide some insight to how I learn, and for that matter, how everyone else learned. From your basic classroom to your the most complex online classes, all instruction is based on many learning theories that have been tried and tested.

Not giving any thought to how I learned, I noted that on a cursory level that I was a visual learner. And more than that, I was also very interested in learning things that have immediate application for me. My view on that hasn't really changed that much, but it's shed some light for me by putting a name to how I learn. In my case, I understand how I learn as an adult and what engages me as a learner based on where I am in my life. The learning strategies I encountered with adult learning theories allow me to create a road map for my own learning. As I move forward with creating instructional design for others, I am able to filter that particular learning from my own point of view.

I have learned a great deal about various learning theories that help support my own learning. Not a single theory dominates my own personal learning preferences but I can pull ideas from different theories that work for my own personal learning. The first learning theory I find useful or actually inspiring is constructivism. I am given the opportunity to create my own meaning form the learning based on the rich learning environment. I like the idea that a rich learning environment with all the right tools are provided but I as the leaner am able to extract my own meaningful understanding from that environment. Secondly, as an adult, I responded to the tenets behind adult learning theories. Since I do much of my learning on my own, I am self-directed and look to apply that knowledge immediately. Experiential and project-based learning are two learning strategies that I feel I respond to in terms of using my prior life and work experience. Finally, the insight I had the most in was linking Connectivism to my learning. I spend a lot of time online and researching and I realize that this form of learning is very much central to me and the new media age. Through research and exploration and linking many diverse sources, I am able to arrive at my own meaning of the knowledge I am seeking.

Technology plays a huge role in my learning. I would go so far as to say that in many instances, technology motivates me to learn more. Case in point, I purchased an iPad recently and as a consequence seem to be spending more time writing and researching, even finishing my assignments quicker. The technology enables me to respond faster to my learning. As more technological advances occur and effectively assist with supporting learning, I am confident that I will embrace them as I see fit for my own learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment