Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Connectivism - Mind Map



This week's assignment is on understanding Connectivism - a learning theory in which learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties. Therefore, I have mapped out the way I learn things through this form of learning, where tools of technology really make these connections possible. I'll make clear these connections by way of the following questions:

1. How has your network changed the way you learn?

My network of learning is continuous and far-reaching, so it doesn't end in the classroom or textbook as in a traditional classroom. Through the many connections, I can learn about a certain topic through multiple sources. This allows me to get diverse viewpoints and interpretations on a certain topic. It also allows me to connect with the source of the learning in a meaningful as often times I can reach the author of a blog or post comments.

2. Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

Often that depends on the topic. Since I am visual learner, I learn a lot from videos on YouTube and Vimeo. There are many do-it-yourself projects and interviews that often link back to other sources like blogs and websites to add layers of knowledge to a topic. Subscribing to podcasts is another tool that makes it easy to learn, especially since they are playable on mobile devices. Facebook is helpful between my peers and friends as they often provide resources that are unheard of.

3. How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?

First I will look for a Wikipedia source on the topic. Then, I will try forums and discussions groups (such as Yahoo and Google groups) with active members who are professionals and can provide immediate answers. I will also email the author a blog who is an expert in the subject by doing a Google search. These are more trusted sources. If I want a more general and less trusted response, I will try Yahoo answers. Posting a comment on a blog post on a similar topic is also a quick way to get an answer if the blog is quite popular. Finally, posting on Facebook and Twitter works just as well.

4. In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?

My learning tenets support the overall tenets of connectivism because of the tools and technologies I utilize on the web. At some point, the information becomes too much and I am forced to filter and process the resources where I can pick and choose. The various multimedia feeds into my learning and creates a diorama of knowledge that builds upon the other. It also makes me responsible for my own learning and how to organize the learning resources. In a sense, I am the 'architect' of my own learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment